NIHR Accrual Etc

Information Systems (IS)

Home Forums INFORMATION SYSTEMS Information Systems (IS) NIHR Accrual Etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

As per my email (I was asked to post it here too!)…

I emailed a little while back asking for experiences in using CPMS and new ODS codes to upload accrual. Several units responded with similar concerns:

·         Lack of CTU involvement in design of CPMS, and no training. There is confusion over who is expected to add sites to studies (until this is done accrual data cannot be uploaded for the site).

·         The switch from standard NIHR site codes (‘N codes’) to ODS codes came with little warning. Mapping from N-codes to ODS is not simple as a single site may have multiple ODS codes depending on Trust and some codes appear to be identical, or very similar.

·         Trusts are contacting CTUs with requests to split recruitment within a single site (i.e. at the subject level). This might be possible for a researcher manually completing an Excel log for a single study – they can just update individual rows as needed – but for CTUs managing and uploading data for dozens of studies the data extract process is usually automated and site updates have to be systematic (e.g. we can map all Site A to Site H within a study but cannot map *some* Site A to Site H and some others to Site P).

·         Rumours are also circulating that NIHR will soon be expecting sites to upload data directly via their LPMS, such as EDGE. Possibly good news for CTUs if true, but it’s not clear if it is and this needs confirming and communicating.

I forwarded these to NIHR and received a reply. The salient points:

·         NIHR believe CTUs are uploading data mainly without problem. Given I wasn’t overwhelmed with concerns this may well be the case.

·         NIHR have offered CPMS training for CTU staff.

·         A bug preventing download of validation errors has now been fixed.

·         NIHR state that they have recently improved processes for adding sites when a study opens and expect to see fewer problems where sites have not been added.

·         NIHR acknowledge that ODS codes are not directly mappable to the previous ‘N’ site codes used by some CTUs. They reiterate that it is the responsibility of the uploader to use the correct ODS codes but offer no solution to the mapping issue.

·         NIHR confirmed they are working towards supporting data uploads directly from the site LPMS. If and when this is system is ready they will communicate this change.

So, we’re on our own with the ODS code change. This leaves us with the option of switching to ODS codes to manage our sites, and using these codes in place of ‘N’ codes for the upload, or, to create a new field in the trial database specifically for the ODS accrual code. The latter of course would most likely involve manual data entry which for some of us would be a significant burden.

If anyone has any further feedback or suggestions, or is interested in the CPMS training offer, please get in touch.

Best wishes

Will

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
form

Get in touch

If you have any questions about the site, please feel free to contact us. We are always looking for ways to better serve our members - YOU are important to us!

(0113) 3439132